[Freeipa-users] Does ipa dns enforce RRSet TTLs?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 17:05:07 UTC 2014

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2181#section-5

Specifically, this:
"Consequently the use of differing TTLs in an RRSet is hereby
deprecated, the
TTLs of all RRs in an RRSet must be the same."

The answer is:

IPA is even more strict, one DNS *name* can have only one TTL for all
RRsets.

This limitation is enforced by LDAP structure we use. All DNS records
for single DNS name are stored in one LDAP object and DNS TTL is
represented as one attribute.

The follow up question is:

But dnsrecord_add/mod has a dnsttl attribute.  What happens if I do a
dnsrecord_mod {"dnsttl": adifferentvalue}?  Does it change the ttl for
_all_ records?