[Freeipa-users] Backup / Restore

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 14:06:49 UTC 2014

Innes, Duncan wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Did the backup/restore scripts reach more than experimental status?
> Looks like they were released in FreeIPA 3.2.

The problem is few people have experimented with it. We need feedback to
know whether it works or not. It worked for me in my contrived
environment over a couple of days but that isn't exactly definitive.

Playing with this should be relatively easy and pain free. A backup
doesn't do anything operationally except bring down the servers (for
sanity sake). You can do live backups but those aren't recommended, and
only backs up the data (not all the other configuration, etc).

Then you can try doing a full restore in an isolated VM as a test, and
see how things look.

> It's a problem for me that this kind of functionallity hasn't yet moved
> into RHEL.
>
> Backup/restore from some corporate use perspectives, cannot rely on
> system snapshotting.  Whilst a snapshot may make an easier recovery
> procedure for an admin, it is a take-it-or-leave-it approach.  I cannot,
> for example, restore missing data that was deleted by mistake without
> loosing other edits that have happened in the interim.

And that is still not dealt with in the current backup/restore. To do
that requires some sort of LDIF browser where entries can be selected
and restored/entries replaced. No such system already exists and
represents a large chunk of work. It is a recognized shortcoming of the
current support.

> A VM snapshot is certainly a valid last-stop method of backing up IPA,
> but it doesn't cover some of the use cases that most companies find
> themselves having to deal with.

Agreed.

rob