[Freeipa-users] Slow logins on FreeIPA 4.1.2 (F21)

Dan Mossor danofsatx at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 04:10:35 UTC 2015

I've recently deployed a new domain based on 4.1.2 in F21. We've noticed
an issue and can't quite seem to nail it down. The problem is that
logins are taking an inordinate amount of time to complete - the fastest
logon we can get using LDAP credentials is 8 seconds. During our
testing, even logons to the IPA server itself took over 30 seconds to
complete.

I've narrowed this down to sssd, but that is as far as I can get. When
cranking up debugging for sshd and PAM, I see a minimum 2 second delay
between ssh handing off the authentication request to sssd and the reply
back. The only troubleshooting I've done is with ssh, but the area that
causes the most grief is Apache logins. We configured Apache to use PAM
for auth through IPA, vice directly calling IPA itself. Logging in to
our Redmine site takes users a minimum of 34 seconds to complete.
Following this, a simple webpage containing two hyperlinks and two small
thumbnail images takes over a minute to load on a gigabit network.

The *only* thing changed in this environment was the IPA server. We
moved the Redmine from our old network that was using IPA 3.x (F20
branch) to the new one. My initial reaction was that it was the VM that
was hosting Redmine, but we've run these tests against bare metal
machines in the same network and have the same issue. It appears that
sssd is taking a very, very long time to talk to FreeIPA - even on the
IPA server itself.

However, Kerberos logins into the IPA web GUI are near instantaneous,
while Username/Password logins take more than a few seconds.

I need to get this solved. My developers don't appreciate the glory days
of XP taking 5 minutes to log into an IIS 2.1 web server on the local
network. I don't have the budget to keep them at the coffee pot waiting
on the network. So, what further information do you need from me to
track this one down?

Dan

--
Dan Mossor