[Freeipa-users] Replica with external ca + custom subject in certificate

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 05:27:49 UTC 2015

Dne 7.4.2015 v 15:31 Martin Kosek napsal(a):
> On 04/07/2015 02:08 PM, James James wrote:
>> I will try to give a better explanation :
>>

>> I have a CentOS 6.6 with ipa 3.0 named ipa-master. ipa-master has been
>> installed with an external CA about 3 years ago and I will have to renew
>> the certificate soon.
>>
>>   I have created a test server (ipa-dev) with the same configuration (centos
>> 6.6 and ipa 3.0) to test the renewal process. I want the new ipa-dev sever
>> to be installed with an external CA.
>>
>> In the same time my external CA has changed and wants the emailAddress
>> field in the certificate request 's subject.
>
> CSR during installation with external CA is produced by Dogtag, so you are
> constrained with the options and capabilities provided by ipa-server-install.
> Maybe it would be possible to modify the CSR and update the Subject manually,
> but I expect it would crash the installer later (JanC may know more (CCed))

The subject name identifies the CA in server (and other) certificates.
If you change it, you break the trust chain from the CA certificate to
the server certificates and that will break all SSL in IPA.

>> If it is not possible to add emailAddress in the subject, is it possible to
>> migrate my ipa-master CA system from an external CA to a CA-less or
>> self-signed CA ?
>
> It is, with ipa-cacert-manage - see links below.

You can change your external CA to self-signed CA in IPA 4.1 or newer by
running:

     # ipa-cacert-manage renew --self-signed

You can't change external CA to CA-less.

--
Jan Cholasta