[Freeipa-users] Common Name for the ipa-cacert-manage command

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 20:44:43 UTC 2015

William Graboyes wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> The end goal is to eliminate self signed certs from user interaction
> with FreeIPA, without having to roll out changes to each user in the
> house (and remote locations).  So basically changing the CA to a
> trusted CA that will not bring "scare" the users with "Site security
> cannot be verified, return to safety."
>
> The problem with the CN is that when it is read from the CSR the
> CN="Certificate Authority".  Which is not an acceptable CN according
> to the tool we use for generating certs, The tool we use expects a CN
> of something along the lines of example.com.

That sounds odd. The CN of a CA doesn't represent a machine or a
specific domain, it represents itself. Granted Certificate Authority
isn't all that unique a name either, but it's what we defaulted to, IIRC
based on the dogtag defaults.

Changing it might have other odd side-effects too as it's hardcoded in a
few other places. I'm not exactly sure what would break, if anything.

It sounds like your tool is issuing a server cert, not a CA cert. A
server cert traditionally has used cn=FQDN,<rest of subject>. That
doesn't really apply to a CA.

So it's changeable if you hack some installer code, but there be dragons.

rob