[Freeipa-users] Questions to "compat" LDAP suffix

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 14:02:02 UTC 2015

Detlev Habicht wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i am very new using and testing IPA and i have some questions,
> which are not really IPA topics. But perhaps someone can help
> me and send me a link, where i can read and learn such things:
>
> I see in the LDAP tree a suffix like this:
>
> cn=users,cn=compat,dc=ims,dc=intern
>
> And of course this:
>
> cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=ims,dc=intern
>
> I don’t understand the reason for „cn=compat“.
> Where do i find some infos to understand this concept?

It is the schema comppatibility tree. IPA servers the 2307bis schema.
Some clients (Solaris) want 2307 so need to use the cn=compat tree instead.

It is also being leveraged for providing separate views for entries. You
can find more information on this in
/usr/share/doc/slapi-nis/ipa/sch-ipa.txt

Documentation on the plugin can be found in /usr/share/doc/slapi-nis.

The basic rule of thumb though is to search in the right container for
the right kind of entry rather than searching from the base.

rob