[Freeipa-users] question about Active Directory authentication

David Fitzgerald David.Fitzgerald at millersville.edu
Tue Feb 17 21:05:02 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am currently running an IPA 3.3 server on Centos 7.  I have 70 IPA client machines running Scientific Linux 6.6 and 150 users.  User directories are auto-mounted from a Centos 7 file server.

I have been informed that all computer users on our campus must now authenticate off of the University's Active Directory server, including all Linux machines.  I have been looking through the IPA documentation and am getting myself confused and not completely understanding what needs to be done, thus I have some questions.

1.       The docs talk about setting up a trust between the IPA server and the AD server.  Will I need to change all of the IPA clients as well as the IPA server, or do I only need change the server and not have to touch the clients?

2.       Do I even need to set up a full trust relationship just to authenticate my users with AD?

3.       Since I already have 150 users, will I have to delete their IPA accounts before setting up the trust?  W

Sorry if my questions are a bit basic, but I need some guidance to get me started.

Thanks!

Dave

David Fitzgerald
Department of Earth Sciences