[Freeipa-users] how to configure Linux Cent Os as ipa client manual installation

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 15:15:59 UTC 2015

On 01/05/2015 03:24 PM, Janelle wrote:
> Hi everyone, Happy New Year.
>
> Was following this thread and wondering about those of us with a couple of
> 2000-3000 servers to run ipa-client-install on? Any suggestions?  Was looking
> around for even the basics of puppet or chef configs, but nothing exists.
>
> Any suggestions? One of the concerns I have is, even with puppet/chef, you need
> credentials during the install to "add" the client on the server. Security?

Right, it is not a very good idea to bake an admin password in the Puppet
scripts. Couple options you can follow:

- Install clients using pre-created one time password or host keytab (you need
to create the client host entry first)

- If you still want to use the privileged account to enroll the client, you can
also pass it's password to ipa-client-install stdin, when it's running it
unattended mode. This way you will avoid having it baked in your configs directly:
  # cat /root/enrollman_password | ipa-client-install --unattended --principal
enrollman

HTH.