[Freeipa-users] IPA Error 4301: Certificate operation cannot be completed: Unable to communicate with CMS (Not Found)

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 19:20:25 UTC 2015

Chris Tobey wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
>
> I have services in /etc/init.d/ named tomcat6 and pki-cad.
>
> I tried the following:
> -
>      [Thu Jun 04 14:38:16:/etc/init.d]$ service tomcat6 status
>      tomcat6 is stopped                                         [  OK  ]
>      [Thu Jun 04 14:38:23:/etc/init.d]$ service tomcat6 start
>      Starting tomcat6:                                          [  OK  ]
>      [Thu Jun 04 14:38:29:/etc/init.d]$ service tomcat6 status
>      tomcat6 (pid 10853) is running...                          [  OK  ]
>      [Thu Jun 04 14:38:40:/etc/init.d]$ service pki-cad status
>      pki-ca (pid 1793) is running...                            [  OK  ]
>          Unsecure Port       = http://chimera.server.com:9180/ca/ee/ca
>          Secure Agent Port   = https://chimera.server.com:9443/ca/agent/ca
>          Secure EE Port      = https://chimera.server.com:9444/ca/ee/ca
>          Secure Admin Port   = https://chimera.server.com:9445/ca/services
>          EE Client Auth Port = https://chimera.server.com:9446/ca/eeca/ca
>          PKI Console Port    = pkiconsole https://chimera.server.com:9445/ca
>          Tomcat Port         = 9701 (for shutdown)
>
>          PKI Instance Name:   pki-ca
>
>          PKI Subsystem Type:  Root CA (Security Domain)
>
>          Registered PKI Security Domain Information:

>          Name:  IPA

Ok, you didn't specify a version so I took a stab in the dark on the
service name. So I gather you're running 3.0.0?

You'll need to dive into the catalina.log and debug logs in
/var/log/pki-ca. This means that tomcat started but the webapp didn't.
This is usually the audit subsystem kicking in but recently someone else
had this issue and a simple ipactl restart fixed it for him.

rob