[Freeipa-users] Certificate expired/renew problems

Marc Wiatrowski wia at iglass.net
Fri Jun 5 19:49:31 UTC 2015

Thank you John.  I had tried that but you did give me some things to look
at.

I was able to get 2 of the certificates to renew by setting the date back
in time, a services restart, and issuing 'ipa-getcert resubmit -i <request
id>'  This renewed the following 'Server-Cert' and  'ipaCert' but did not
'auditSigningCert cert-pki-ca' 'ocspSigningCert cert-pki-ca' or
'subsystemCert cert-pki-ca'

The admin web interface now gives 'ipa error 4301: Certificate operation
cannot be completed: Unable to communicate with CMS (Not Found)'

listing the certs shows an error along the lines of

Internal error: no response to "
http://spider01o.iglass.net:9180/ca/ee/ca/profileSubmit?profileId=caServerCert&serial_num=1073545218&renewal=true&xml=true
".

If any of these are useful.

messages:
Jun  5 15:38:05 spider01o certmonger: Internal error: no response to "
http://spider01o.iglass.net:9180/ca/ee/ca/profileSubmit?profileId=caServerCert&serial_num=5&renewal=true&xml=true
".

httpd/error:
[Fri Jun 05 14:32:26 2015] [error] ipa: ERROR:
ipaserver.plugins.dogtag.ra.get_certificate(): Unable to communicate with
CMS (Not Found)

selftests.log:
8371.main - [05/Jun/2015:15:19:17 EDT] [20] [1] SystemCertsVerification:
system certs verification failure
8371.main - [05/Jun/2015:15:19:17 EDT] [20] [1] SelfTestSubsystem: The
CRITICAL self test plugin called
selftests.container.instance.SystemCertsVerification running at startup
FAILED!

$ ipactl status
Directory Service: RUNNING
KDC Service: RUNNING
KPASSWD Service: RUNNING
DNS Service: RUNNING
MEMCACHE Service: RUNNING
HTTP Service: RUNNING
CA Service: RUNNING

$ certutil -L -d /var/lib/pki-ca/alias

Certificate Nickname                                         Trust
Attributes

 SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI

ocspSigningCert cert-pki-ca                                  u,u,u
subsystemCert cert-pki-ca                                    u,u,u
Server-Cert cert-pki-ca                                      u,u,u
caSigningCert cert-pki-ca                                    CTu,u,u
auditSigningCert cert-pki-ca                                 u,u,Pu

$ getcert list
Number of certificates and requests being tracked: 9.
Request ID '20131204194012':
status: MONITORING
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/pki/nssdb',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/pki/nssdb',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB'
CA: IPA
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=spider01o,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2017-05-28 18:03:59 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes
auto-renew: yes
Request ID '20141114162346':
status: MONITORING
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB',pinfile='/etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA/pwdfile.txt'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB'
CA: IPA
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=spider01o.iglass.net,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2016-11-14 16:22:37 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes
auto-renew: yes
Request ID '20141114162434':
status: MONITORING
ca-error: Internal error: no response to "
http://spider01o.iglass.net:9180/ca/ee/ca/profileSubmit?profileId=caServerCert&serial_num=1073545218&renewal=true&xml=true
".
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/var/lib/pki-ca/alias',nickname='Server-Cert
cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB',pin='x'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/var/lib/pki-ca/alias',nickname='Server-Cert
cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB'
CA: dogtag-ipa-renew-agent
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=spider01o.iglass.net,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2016-11-03 16:24:27 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
eku: id-kp-serverAuth
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes
auto-renew: yes
Request ID '20141114162522':
status: MONITORING
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/dirsrv/slapd-IGLASS-NET',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB',pinfile='/etc/dirsrv/slapd-IGLASS-NET/pwdfile.txt'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/dirsrv/slapd-IGLASS-NET',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB'
CA: IPA
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=spider01o.iglass.net,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2016-11-14 16:22:36 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes
auto-renew: yes
Request ID '20141114162610':
status: MONITORING
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB',pinfile='/etc/httpd/alias/pwdfile.txt'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB'
CA: IPA
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=spider01o.iglass.net,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2016-11-14 16:22:42 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes
auto-renew: yes
Request ID '20150604181945':
status: MONITORING
ca-error: Internal error: no response to "
http://spider01o.iglass.net:9180/ca/ee/ca/profileSubmit?profileId=caServerCert&serial_num=5&renewal=true&xml=true
".
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/var/lib/pki-ca/alias',nickname='auditSigningCert
cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB',pin='x'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/var/lib/pki-ca/alias',nickname='auditSigningCert
cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB'
CA: dogtag-ipa-renew-agent
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=CA Audit,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2015-05-31 18:48:55 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes
auto-renew: yes
Request ID '20150604181956':
status: MONITORING
ca-error: Internal error: no response to "
http://spider01o.iglass.net:9180/ca/ee/ca/profileSubmit?profileId=caServerCert&serial_num=2&renewal=true&xml=true
".
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/var/lib/pki-ca/alias',nickname='ocspSigningCert
cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB',pin='x'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/var/lib/pki-ca/alias',nickname='ocspSigningCert
cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB'
CA: dogtag-ipa-renew-agent
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=OCSP Subsystem,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2015-05-31 18:48:54 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyCertSign,cRLSign
eku: id-kp-OCSPSigning
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes
auto-renew: yes
Request ID '20150604182006':
status: MONITORING
ca-error: Internal error: no response to "
http://spider01o.iglass.net:9180/ca/ee/ca/profileSubmit?profileId=caServerCert&serial_num=4&renewal=true&xml=true
".
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/var/lib/pki-ca/alias',nickname='subsystemCert
cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB',pin='x'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/var/lib/pki-ca/alias',nickname='subsystemCert
cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB'
CA: dogtag-ipa-renew-agent
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=CA Subsystem,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2015-05-31 18:48:54 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes
auto-renew: yes
Request ID '20150604182012':
status: MONITORING
stuck: no
key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='ipaCert',token='NSS
Certificate DB',pinfile='/etc/httpd/alias/pwdfile.txt'
certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='ipaCert',token='NSS
Certificate DB'
CA: dogtag-ipa-renew-agent
issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IGLASS.NET
subject: CN=IPA RA,O=IGLASS.NET
expires: 2017-05-25 13:58:36 UTC
key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
pre-save command:
post-save command:
track: yes