[Freeipa-users] Crazy Cert problem?

Janelle janellenicole80 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:03:36 UTC 2015

On 6/17/15 6:21 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Janelle wrote:

>>> What version of IPA and distro? (I don't think that probably has
>>> anything to do with it, just curious in case it does eventually
>>> matter).
>>>
>>> What does /etc/openldap/ldap.conf look like? Normally it should have
>>> TLS_CACERT /etc/ipa/ca.crt
>>>
>>> Any chance you can share the server and client install logs?
>>>
>>> rob
>> 4.1.4 = IPA
>> CentOS 7.1
>>
>> Oooh... Found something:  /etc/openldap/ldap.conf:
>>
>> TLS_CACERTDIR    /etc/openldap/certs
>>
>> Going to investigate.
>> ~J
>>

> That should be fine assuming there aren't any certs in there (and on a
> brand new system I'd think you'd have empty NSS databases).
>
> rob
So this gets interesting now...

Say you have 6 IPA servers, named ipa001-ipa006.example.com -- all
working fine.
Something happens to 002. It dies. You "ipa-replica-manage del --clean
--force ipa002" to get rid of it.

A period of time, say a month, goes by. You have lost a couple of other
replicas for whatever reason, say 3 and 6. You decide you want to
rebuild. You start with 002 - leaving the others up and running because
you have users working. You firewall off 002 why you rebuild it.

You reinstall OS, reinstall FreeIPA. But no matter what, when you start
to configure IPA it comes up with the error of being untrusted. Now, you
try the same thing on 003 and 006. SAME problem.

For fun - you shutdown 005 and uninstall freeipa --unattended and then
try to re-install it. Guess what - no issues.

Is this somehow related to:
Same domain and realm names floating around the net - so is it querying
for a name somehow and one of the "still running" servers is saying -
"NO NO NO -- that CERT is revoked!!!" - even though it never tries to
connect to that server.

Or am I just thinking far too outside the box?  And this is exactly what
has happened. Rebuilding one of the servers that was never REMOVED is
working just fine.

~J