[Freeipa-users] Crazy Cert problem?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 21:00:11 UTC 2015

Janelle wrote:
> On 6/17/15 6:21 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Janelle wrote:

>>> 4.1.4 = IPA
>>> CentOS 7.1
>>>
>>> Oooh... Found something:  /etc/openldap/ldap.conf:
>>>
>>> TLS_CACERTDIR    /etc/openldap/certs
>>>
>>> Going to investigate.
>>> ~J
>>>

>> That should be fine assuming there aren't any certs in there (and on a
>> brand new system I'd think you'd have empty NSS databases).
>>
>> rob
> So this gets interesting now...
>
> Say you have 6 IPA servers, named ipa001-ipa006.example.com -- all
> working fine.
> Something happens to 002. It dies. You "ipa-replica-manage del --clean
> --force ipa002" to get rid of it.
>
> A period of time, say a month, goes by. You have lost a couple of other
> replicas for whatever reason, say 3 and 6. You decide you want to
> rebuild. You start with 002 - leaving the others up and running because
> you have users working. You firewall off 002 why you rebuild it.
>
> You reinstall OS, reinstall FreeIPA. But no matter what, when you start
> to configure IPA it comes up with the error of being untrusted. Now, you
> try the same thing on 003 and 006. SAME problem.
>
> For fun - you shutdown 005 and uninstall freeipa --unattended and then
> try to re-install it. Guess what - no issues.
>
> Is this somehow related to:
> Same domain and realm names floating around the net - so is it querying
> for a name somehow and one of the "still running" servers is saying -
> "NO NO NO -- that CERT is revoked!!!" - even though it never tries to
> connect to that server.
>
> Or am I just thinking far too outside the box?  And this is exactly what
> has happened. Rebuilding one of the servers that was never REMOVED is
> working just fine.

You just jumped to a completely different scenario: from a fresh
standalone install to a replica install. We should probably pick one and
solve it.

I think the leap you're making is that the issue is that it notices some
previous cert. A revoked service cert wouldn't have any effect as those
service certs aren't in use.

It very well could be finding the "wrong" realm based on DNS SRV
records. The logs should show you what the client discovered. Things
happen in multiple steps so perhaps there is a disconnect where the
right server is used in some, but not all, cases.

rob