[Freeipa-users] Changing the SSL certificate for the WebUI

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Sat Jun 20 20:21:55 UTC 2015

Prashant Bapat wrote:
> I tried the steps documented on a test VM. Looks like I ended up in the
> situation described here
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2012-January/msg00045.html.

Please be careful when pointing back at old threads. This issue was
about expired certs. I suspect you found it because of a similar error
message, but the underlying cause is completely unrelated.

You probably just need to add in the CA cert that issued the server
certificate. I'd have thought that ipa-server-certinstall would enforce
that but perhaps not.

> I have one more question. Is there a way to disable HTTPS completely on
> the WebUI. I can add HTTPS on a load balancer in front of the UI to
> handle SSL.

It would be a rather terrible idea. You'd still have a lot of
in-the-clear messaging between the IPA web server and the load balancer.
I wouldn't recommend that there are real replay issues possible. You
should re-encrypt, so terminate SSL at the load balancer and then open a
new SSL session to IPA.

rob