[Freeipa-users] Crazy Cert problem?

Janelle janellenicole80 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:29:25 UTC 2015

On 6/17/15 2:00 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Janelle wrote:

>>> That should be fine assuming there aren't any certs in there (and on a
>>> brand new system I'd think you'd have empty NSS databases).
>>>
>>> rob
>> So this gets interesting now...
>>
>> Say you have 6 IPA servers, named ipa001-ipa006.example.com -- all
>> working fine.
>> Something happens to 002. It dies. You "ipa-replica-manage del --clean
>> --force ipa002" to get rid of it.
>>
>> A period of time, say a month, goes by. You have lost a couple of other
>> replicas for whatever reason, say 3 and 6. You decide you want to
>> rebuild. You start with 002 - leaving the others up and running because
>> you have users working. You firewall off 002 why you rebuild it.
>>
>> You reinstall OS, reinstall FreeIPA. But no matter what, when you start
>> to configure IPA it comes up with the error of being untrusted. Now, you
>> try the same thing on 003 and 006. SAME problem.
>>
>> For fun - you shutdown 005 and uninstall freeipa --unattended and then
>> try to re-install it. Guess what - no issues.
>>
>> Is this somehow related to:
>> Same domain and realm names floating around the net - so is it querying
>> for a name somehow and one of the "still running" servers is saying -
>> "NO NO NO -- that CERT is revoked!!!" - even though it never tries to
>> connect to that server.
>>
>> Or am I just thinking far too outside the box?  And this is exactly what
>> has happened. Rebuilding one of the servers that was never REMOVED is
>> working just fine.
>
> You just jumped to a completely different scenario: from a fresh
> standalone install to a replica install. We should probably pick one
> and solve it.
>
> I think the leap you're making is that the issue is that it notices
> some previous cert. A revoked service cert wouldn't have any effect as
> those service certs aren't in use.
>
> It very well could be finding the "wrong" realm based on DNS SRV
> records. The logs should show you what the client discovered. Things
> happen in multiple steps so perhaps there is a disconnect where the
> right server is used in some, but not all, cases.
>
> rob

ALL the problems were all related. Even after building brand new
servers, the problem persisted and then started cropping up with client
installs.

The solution traced to bad NSS packages. A simple "yum downgrade nss
nss-sysinit nss-tools" solved it.. Something is up with the 3.18 verion
and downgrading to 3.16 seems to have resolved. Should have known it
would all be related to an upgrade.  Sometimes a slightly older version
is best.

~Janelle