[Freeipa-users] DNS forwarder "first" does not fallback to local

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 13:37:12 UTC 2015

On 29.6.2015 14:07, Matt . wrote:
> Hi Petr,
>

> Bot servers have zone:
>
> domain.tld
>
> Server1 (192.168.1.1) has:
>
> domain.tld
> foo A 192.168.1.10
> bar A 192.168.1.20
>

> Server2  (192.168.2.1) has:
>
> domain.tld
> candy A 192.168.2.100
>

> I have a forward first on Server1 to the IP of Server2
>
> So when my DNS server on my client is 192.168.1.1 and I do a nslookup
> candy.domain.tld it should not lookup locally but on the forward
> (Server2). But when I lookup foo.domain.tld it should get a reply of
> Server1

Okay, now I understand it. It is not possible now and it will likely never be
possible because it breaks the basic principles of DNS.

You are expected to have one set of servers which are authoritative for a
given zone and this set of servers should synchronized databases among each other.

If you really want to split responsibility for different records to multiple
servers then you should create sub-domains and do proper delegation for
sub-domains.

For example, server 1 might be authoritative for zone domain.tld. This domain
can contain delegation to server2 for names candy.domain.tld and so on.

I hope this helps.

Petr^2 Spacek