[Freeipa-users] Synology DSM5 and freeIPA

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 10:15:22 UTC 2015

On 03/06/2015 10:56 AM, Roberto Cornacchia wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm planning to deploy freeIPA on our lan.
> It's small-ish and completely based on FC21, so I expect everything to work
> like a charm.
>
> Except one detail. We have Synology NAS station, which uses DSM 5.0.
> The ideal plan is to use it as host for shared NFS home dirs once we switch our
> desktops to freeIPA.

Great!

> I've already tried on a VirtualBox replica of our lan how to configure the
> Synology station against freeIPA.
> LDAP enrolling worked, and I created a srv entry in the freeIPA dns, but I
> didn't go further than that.
>
> SSSD does not seem to exist for DSM 5. What are the implications? Can it do
> without? I understood SSSD works as a caching system, so that the machine keeps
> working when freeIPA is unavailable. Does it have any other vital role?

It depends what you want to achieve. I do not know what client DSM users
(nss_ldap?), but I assume it should be able to at least do UID/GID translation,
using FreeIPA server. nss_ldap is sufficient for the task.

SSSD 1.12 has for example CIFS client, that may be useful NFS as well. (See
ticket https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1534).

CCing Jakub from SSSD team for further reference.

> Thanks for your input.
>
> Roberto
>
> PS. This mailing list is pleasantly active. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, you too! :-)

Martin