[Freeipa-users] Synology DSM5 and freeIPA

Roberto Cornacchia roberto.cornacchia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 09:29:46 UTC 2015

On 6 March 2015 at 11:15, Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/2015 10:56 AM, Roberto Cornacchia wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm planning to deploy freeIPA on our lan.
>> It's small-ish and completely based on FC21, so I expect everything to
>> work
>> like a charm.
>>
>> Except one detail. We have Synology NAS station, which uses DSM 5.0.
>> The ideal plan is to use it as host for shared NFS home dirs once we
>> switch our
>> desktops to freeIPA.
>>

> Great!

Hello,

The first thing I'm struggling  with is to find the correct approach about
NFS home dirs.
The ideal setting would be:
- home dirs on the NAS
- IPA manages automount maps
- home dirs are created automatically at first login

The documentation I could find on these topics includes only not-so-recent
pages (anything I missed?):

http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/NFS_and_FreeIPA
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/FreeIPA_Guide/automount.html
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/FreeIPA_Guide/users.html#home-directories
http://adam.younglogic.com/2011/06/automount-and-home-directory-creation/

Now, I admit I don't have much experience with setting up NFS homes, with
or without freeIPA, so trying to get this done correctly in the context of
freeIPA and without clear howtos isn't very easy, but I'm willing to get my
hands dirty.

The first problem I struggle with is on the correct approach.
>From the documentation above, I understand that there is a bit of a
chicken-egg problem about the creation of home dirs.
On the one hand, it would be optimal to have automount maps to load only
single home dirs on demand, rather than the entire /home tree.
On the other hand, if the /home tree is not available, then creating
/home/user1 dir automatically isn't really possible.

Just mounting the whole /home tree would make things easier, but I don't
have a feeling of when it starts to become a performance issue (assuming
recent hardware and up to date software). 10 users? 50? 100? 500? No idea.
The realm I'm dealing with at the moment is in the range of 5-10 users and
probably won't be larger than 50 in the next few years (and if it will, it
means things are going well, so what the heck ;)
Also true that, with such few users, I could just create the homedirs
manually when needed (this is not an organisation where many users come and
go) and just mount the individually.
Any tips about this?

Best, Roberto