[Freeipa-users] Extending IPA to include multiple (say 5) fields for MAC addresses per user

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Mar 11 20:54:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

Hosts however would have to be joined by an admin?

They also wouldnt be very IPA aware and stable  from what I can see, ie joining a non-RH OS to IPA just looks an awful nightmare especially for 10000+ devices plus with 3 different OSes at least (IOS, Win, Android, linux and apple and windows laptops plus others) and multiple versions and patch levels.....um no, insanity beckons, LOL.

I am still trying to figure out what is wanted so I am vague because so are criteria and I have never done this before.

All I have is,

free, open source,

The idea is that an employee can have a zero config access / sign in to wifi for their device once initially connected.

The solution must be robust and available ie close to 99.999% availability.  IPA can do this as the backend and yes PF can use LDAP hence my interest.  Packet fence can be active/passive HA so its possible.  Virtualised across multiple ESXi hosts and SANs.

I have a RFE in for a IPA howto section to be added to the PF manual as even the openldap section is empty.  Or I might try and write it if I get the go ahead myself.

The PF servers would be RHEL6.6 so Im hoping adding a service in IPA will "simply" work.

regards

Steven