[Freeipa-users] ipa-client-install failure

Roberto Cornacchia roberto.cornacchia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 09:07:31 UTC 2015

Dmitri, Rob, Jakub,

I found at least one of the major problems: chronyd.

This is what I get when I use ipa-client-install on a plain FC21 machine,
*without* using --force-ntpd

WARNING: ntpd time&date synchronization service will not be configured as
conflicting service (chronyd) is enabled
Use --force-ntpd option to disable it and force configuration of ntpd

Good, then I abort and run it again with  --force-ntpd:

Synchronizing time with KDC...
Unable to sync time with IPA NTP server, assuming the time is in sync.
Please check that 123 UDP port is opened.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the meaning of --force-ntpd. I had assumed it
would take care of stopping and disabling chronyd. But it doesn't. That's
why I get the error above.

If I first stop chronyd manually and run the installation again, then it
does synchronise with NTP.
This was apparently the cause of "id admin" not working (kerberos failing
without proper NTP sync?)
Now the basic functionalities are all OK.
Also, chronyd is disabled and ntpd is enabled after installation - good.

My nsswitch.conf now looks like this:

passwd:     files sss
shadow:     files sss
group:      files sss
hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname
bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
services:   files sss
netgroup:   files sss
publickey:  nisplus
automount:  files sss
aliases:    files nisplus
sudoers: files sss

I am left with 2 issues:

1) Is the above expected? Do I have to stop chronyd manually? Or is it a
bug?
2) DNS update still does not work

The latest installation log:

$ systemctl stop chronyd
$ ipa-client-install --mkhomedir --ssh-trust-dns --force-ntpd
Discovery was successful!
Hostname: meson.hq.example.com
Realm: HQ.EXAMPLE.COM
DNS Domain: hq.example.com
IPA Server: ipa.hq.example.com
BaseDN: dc=hq,dc=example,dc=com

Continue to configure the system with these values? [no]: yes
Synchronizing time with KDC...
User authorized to enroll computers: User authorized to enroll computers:
admin
Password for admin at HQ.EXAMPLE.COM:
Successfully retrieved CA cert