[Freeipa-users] Setup of SRV records for new domains

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon May 4 13:09:36 UTC 2015

On 4.5.2015 14:59, Brian Topping wrote:
> Ah, thanks! I see what's going on now. That helps a lot.
>
> I think what I was missing was the reluctance for IPA to serve domains
> that are not proper TLDs. I generally maintain internal security domains
> with an invented TLD since they are secure by definition. When I tried
> that today, it was unable to auto discover on this domain and I
> attributed it to the lack of SRV records.

Generally it is better to use 'internal.example.com.' instead of invented
TLDs like 'mytld.'.

FreeIPA can work with 'invented' TLDs if you have properly configured DNS
but it is usually a nightmare. That is the reason why it is strictly
discouraged.

Also, 'invented' TLDs cannot work with DNSSEC validation unless you
distribute trust anchor to every single DNSSEC validator. This is one more
reason for using proper sub-domains instead of invented TLDs.

Let me know if you want to hear mode details about that. Have a nice day!

Petr^2 Spacek