[Freeipa-users] freeipa-samba integration and windows clients

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at ch.ibm.com
Thu May 7 05:39:24 UTC 2015

Hi

Yes, it's possible to operate freeIPA and Samba as you suggest, we have
been doing so for some years now (with several freeIPA and Samba versions).

Our end users use a mix of Windows and OSX laptops / workstations. These
are not members of any kind of domain. They access our file servers via
Samba shares authenticated by freeIPA.

The samba server is a freeIPA client.

The samba config on the freeIPA side looks like it was done along the lines
in the link
http://techslaves.org/2011/08/24/freeipa-and-samba-3-integration/

The ldap config in our samba smb.conf looks like this:

	security = user
	passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.my.example.com

	ldap suffix = dc=my,dc=example,dc=com

	ldap admin dn = cn=Directory Manager
        	ldap ssl = off

Cheers