[Freeipa-users] External DNS

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Thu May 7 08:37:53 UTC 2015

On 7.5.2015 09:31, Winfried de Heiden wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  One of the nice FreeIPA features is a host will be added to DNS
> automatically when the client is installed. However, in some situations
> using an other, external, DNS server is prefered. Now, this is possible but
> hosts have to added manually to this other DNS-server.
>
>  Is it possible to handle DNS records by IPA on an external DNS server? Any
> future plans for this?

This automatic update is handled by SSSD and uses standard DNS update
protocol. I.e. it should work as long as your 'external' DNS server is
configured to accept updates from clients.

Please refer to documentation to your DNS server for further information and
let us know if you encounter some problem.

Have a nice day!

--
Petr^2 Spacek