[Freeipa-users] External DNS

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu May 7 17:07:58 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 04:37 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
> On 7.5.2015 09:31, Winfried de Heiden wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   One of the nice FreeIPA features is a host will be added to DNS
>> automatically when the client is installed. However, in some situations
>> using an other, external, DNS server is prefered. Now, this is possible but
>> hosts have to added manually to this other DNS-server.
>>
>>   Is it possible to handle DNS records by IPA on an external DNS server? Any
>> future plans for this?
> This automatic update is handled by SSSD and uses standard DNS update
> protocol. I.e. it should work as long as your 'external' DNS server is
> configured to accept updates from clients.

This is the update not the creation.
Will the update create both A/AAAA and PTR record?
I thought that it will just update IP but not create these records.
If I am correct then the question is valid and we need to have a way to
create entries in an external data store.

Sounds like another use case for the notification system.
And for that we do not have firm plans yet but we are collecting the use
cases to justify the effort.
Martin do you think it is worth opening a ticket?

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Director of Engineering for IdM portfolio
Red Hat, Inc.