[Freeipa-users] External DNS

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Sun May 10 16:53:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 01:07:58PM -0400, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 05/07/2015 04:37 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
> >On 7.5.2015 09:31, Winfried de Heiden wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>  One of the nice FreeIPA features is a host will be added to DNS
> >>automatically when the client is installed. However, in some situations
> >>using an other, external, DNS server is prefered. Now, this is possible but
> >>hosts have to added manually to this other DNS-server.
> >>
> >>  Is it possible to handle DNS records by IPA on an external DNS server? Any
> >>future plans for this?
> >This automatic update is handled by SSSD and uses standard DNS update
> >protocol. I.e. it should work as long as your 'external' DNS server is
> >configured to accept updates from clients.
>
> This is the update not the creation.
> Will the update create both A/AAAA and PTR record?

It should also create the record (although I haven't tested right now).

SSSD would so far only create the address family that is used to connect
to the server. We have an RFE open to update both:
    https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/2120
and also update the address on startup, not on going offline, which
might be too late in some cases:
    https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1926

But what I see as a potentially more important blocker is that SSSD
always use the GSSAPI credentials of the joined realm. If the external
DNS server requires different authentication, the update wouldn't
succeed.