[Freeipa-users] 4.1.4 and OTP

Janelle janellenicole80 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:59:51 UTC 2015

> On May 18, 2015, at 04:31, Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com> wrote:

>> <snip> for shorter thread....

>>> This should just affect TOTP. I have posted a patch that should fix
>>> this problem. Are you able to test it?
>>>
>>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2015-April/msg00282.html
>>>

>> Sorry - I just got around to testing this and it does resolve the problem -
>> HOWEVER, you took away the ability to "Name" the tokens? They are now
>> "assigned" unique IDs??
>>
>> Was this intentional?
>
> It was, we track this (half-done) change in this ticket:
>
> The main problem here is that user token names share the same name space and we
> thus do not want to create completely arbitrary names as they would collide.
>
> Applications like FreeOTP allow users to set own labels, so this is IMO the way
> how to add friendly names to the OTP tokens.
>
> Martin

Makes sense, my only concern is syncing tokens.  Once you add a second to,en and want to sync it you have to give it a token ID, otherwise it does not know which to sync. In the past if you named it, that was easy, but it does not seem to take description field as a token name. Guess I need to tell my users it is cut/paste time, or is there another option perhaps?

Also, I was wondering, looking for a way to use both FreeOTP and yubikey and wondering if anyone has tried this and possible caveats?

Janelle