[Freeipa-users] replication again :-(

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Thu May 21 13:46:59 UTC 2015

On 05/21/2015 03:28 PM, Janelle wrote:
> I think I found the problem.
>
> There was a lone replica running in another DC. It was installed as a
> replica some time ago with all the others.  Think of this -- the
> original config had 5 servers, one of them was this server. Then the
> other 4 servers were RE-BUILT from scratch, so all the replication
> agreements were changed AND - this is the important part - the 5th
> server was never added back in. BUT - the 5th server was left running
> and never told it that it was not a member anymore. It still thought
> it had a replication agreement with original "server 1", but server 1
> knew otherwise.
>
> Now, although the first 4 servers were rebuilt, the same domain,
> realm, AND passwords were used.
>
> I am guessing that somehow, this 5th server keeps trying to interject
> its info into the ring of 4 servers, kind of forcing its way in.
> Somehow, because the original credentials still work (but certs are
> all different) is leaving the first 4 servers with a "can't decode"
> issue.
>
> There should be some security checks so this can't happen. It should
> also be easy to replicate.
>
> Now I have to go re-initialize all the servers from a good server, so
> everyone is happy again. The "problem" server has been shutdown
> completely. (and yes, there were actually 3 of them in my scenario - I
> just used 1 to simplify my example - but that explains the 3 CSNs that
> just kept "appearing")
>
> What concerns me most about this - were the servers outside of the
> "good ring" somehow able to inject data into replication which might
> have been causing bad data??? This is bad if it is true.
it depends a bit on what you mean by rebuilt from scratch.
A replication session needs to meet three conditions to be able to send
data:
- the supplier side needs to be able to authenticate and the
authenticated users has to be in the list of binddns of the replica
-  the data generation of supplier and consumer side need to be the same
(they all have to have the same common origin)
- the supplier needs to have the changes (CSNs) to be able to position
in its changelog to send updates

now if you have 5 servers, forget about one of them and do not change
the credentials in the others and do not reinitialize the database by an
ldif import to generate a new database generation, the fifth server will
still be able to connect and eventually send updates - how should the
other servers know that this one is no longer a "good" one