[Freeipa-users] let's encrypt integration and best practices for mod_nss/mod_ssl

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 00:44:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 03:20:22PM -0800, Prasun Gera wrote:
> I'm using idm (4.1.x) on a RHEL 7.1 with the webui accessible publicly. I'm
> using a stock configuration which uses the certs signed by ipa's CA for the
> webui. This is mostly for convenience since it manages renewals seamlessly.
> This, however, requires users to add the CA as trusted to their browsers. A
> promising alternative to this is https://letsencrypt.org/, which issues
> browser trusted certs, and will manage auto renewals too (in the future).
> As a feature request, it would be nice to have closer integration between
> ipa and the letsencrypt client which would make managing certs simple. I'm
> about to set this up manually right now using the external ssl certs guide.

Let's Encrypt is on our radar.  I like the idea of being able to
install FreeIPA with publicly-trusted certs for HTTP and LDAP from
the beginning.  This would require some work in ipa-server-install
in addition to certmonger support and a good, stable Let's Encrypt /
ACME client implementation for Apache on Fedora.

Installing publicly-trusted HTTP / LDAP certs is a common activity
so I filed a ticket: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5431

Cheers,
Fraser