[Freeipa-users] freeIPA or just SSSD?

Milam, Tyler S TMilam at iuhealth.org
Mon Sep 14 14:33:57 UTC 2015

My organization is evaluating new methods of user account provisioning in Linux. What advantages does freeIPA offer over just SSSD?

Some background - we use Active Directory for everything but have a small linux footprint (25 servers). However, many services are going to be migrated from AIX to Linux, and this will increase the number of Linux servers to well over 100.

I've been testing FreeIPA 4.1.0, but having a hard time determining if sssd by itself is 'enough' or if the additional complexity of setting up FreeIPA with a new DNS zone and a 2-way trust with active directory can be justified.

Thanks,
Tyler