[Freeipa-users] freeIPA or just SSSD?

Mark Heslin mheslin at redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 16:38:00 UTC 2015

Hi Tyler,

Some comments below...I'm sure others will chime in :-)

On 09/14/2015 10:33 AM, Milam, Tyler S wrote:

> My organization is evaluating new methods of user account provisioning
> in Linux. What advantages does freeIPA offer over just SSSD?

Just to be clear, SS
SD is the client that can work directly to an existing AD domain, or
indirectly to an AD domain via IdM/FreeIPA and a cross-realm Kerberos trust.
When you configure an IdM/FreeIPA client, SSSD is configured (via
ipa-client-install or realmd). In short:

       SSSD -> AD (Direct AD Integration)
       SSSD -> IdM/FreeIPA (standard configuration)
       SSSD -> IdM/FreeIPA <--- cross-realm Kerberos trust ---> AD
(Indirect AD integration)

In general, Direct AD integration is recommended for small environments
with few Linux clients.
For larger numbers of clients, indirect AD integration is preferred as
it will give you more control, granularity
to manage users, hosts, services, certs, keytabs, etc.

There are some details that come into play - particularly around which
versions of RHEL (or non-RHEL) you're clients are on.
Attached is a tech brief we put out for Summit that can help.

--

Mark Heslin
Principal Technical Program Manager - EPM Team