[Freeipa-users] Generic preauthentication failure while getting initial credentials using kinit -k -t

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Sep 23 23:35:23 UTC 2015

I've put a kerberos principle into a keytab:

# klist -k asterisk.keytab
Keytab name: FILE:asterisk.keytab
KVNO Principal
---- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   8 asterisk at EXAMPLE.COM

using:

# ipa-getkeytab -s server.example.com -p asterisk -k /tmp/asterisk-krb5.keytab -e aes256-cts

But when I try to use that keytab I get an error:

# kinit -k -t /etc/asterisk/asterisk.keytab imap/linux.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
kinit: Generic preauthentication failure while getting initial credentials

On the server I get the following error:

Sep 23 19:30:39 server.example.com krb5kdc[28970](info): AS_REQ (7 etypes {18 17 16 23 1 3 2}) xxxxxx: NEEDED_PREAUTH: imap/linux.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM for krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM, Additional pre-authentication required

Any idea what is going on here?

Cheers,
b.