[Freeipa-users] Install/promote new CA old one corrupted before backups

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 02:16:19 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 08:24:44AM -0500, McNiel, Craig wrote:
> Sadly -
>
> I don't think that CA is installed on other replica's  They were installed
> following the replica-prepare and replica-install process with nothing else
> done outside of this process to install CA.
>
> I did not have backups yet when the incident occurred so I only have the
> replica's created from the original CA/master
>
> The documentation that I was following was the following
>
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Promote_CA_to_Renewal_and_CRL_Master
>
> I rapidly ran into issues with this on the replica's which I suspect is due
> to them not having CA installed.

Correct; the "promote CA to renewal master" means promoting an
existing CA replica to be the default replica for certificate
renewal and CRL generation.

Have you kept any of the *replica files* with with the replicas were
created.  The replica file is what is produced by the
`ipa-replica-prepare' command, and is supplied to
`ipa-replica-install' to actually install the replica.  From any one
of these files you can extract the CA signing certificate and run
`ipa-ca-install' on one of the replicas to reinstate the CA.

I have never attempted this but some of the gotchas might be:

- some manual updates in IPA directory might be necessary to "trick"
  it into believe it is a hitherto CA-less deployment

- some config changes may be needed to ensure the new CA instance
  issues certificates starting from an appropriate serial number
  (how many certs were previously issued by the now-lost CA?)

If you can confirm that you do have a replica file I will spend the
time to work out exactly what you need to do.

Cheers,
Fraser