[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA with smart card using LightDM

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Fri Apr 29 08:28:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 04:09:16PM -0500, Michael Rainey (Contractor) wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone out there is currently using freeIPA with smart
> cards along with LightDM.  I have systems running SL7.2 with GDM and I have
> users that prefer to use XFCE or KDE over the default GNOME-Shell.  The
> problem with GDM is I am not able to get screen lock feature to work across
> multiple desktop environments.  If anyone uses XFCE, xscreensaver will need
> to be installed so they can lock their screen.  This choice also makes using
> the smart card useless when logging back into the system.  Also, I haven't
> been able call the lock screen from the command-line.  What examples I have
> found do not work due to a missing ScreenSaver object.
>
> If anyone has any good solutions to this problem I would enjoy hearing them.

Since Smartcard authentication does not make sense for all PAM services
SSSD uses a list of services where it would offer Smartcard
authentication. Currently this list is static and based on a default RHEL
or Fedora setup. We already have
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/2926 to make this list configurable
and Lukas already wrote an initial patch for it
https://lists.fedorahosted.org/archives/list/sssd-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org/message/FQWOBQV6FFCBKZS2EXKIJU74473E7R7Y/

If you are interested I can provide you with a test build where XFCE,
KDM and xscreensaver are included, just let me know for which platform
you will need it.

bye,
Sumit