[Freeipa-users] Certificate Issues

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 18:23:26 UTC 2016

Adam Lewis wrote:
> Yup. I'm currently still sitting back in time. But any time I try to
> resubmit either the ipaCert or the subsystemCert it errors out.
>
> getcert list shows :
> ca-error: Server at
> "https://ipa.local.domain:9443/ca/agent/ca/profileProcess" replied: 1:
> Authentication Error
>
> And the debug log shows:
> SignedAuditEventFactory: create()
> message=[AuditEvent=AUTH_FAIL][SubjectID=$Unidentified$][Outcome=Failure][AuthMgr=certUserDBAuthMgr][AttemptedCred=CN=IPA
> RA,O=MISS.ION] authentication failure
> ReviewReqServlet: Invalid Credential.
>
> Those appear to be the most significant messages. I'm disconnected so
> getting the full log info is difficult. If it's the only way let me know
> and I'll see what I can do. Worst case it'll just take me a while to
> re-type it.

Sorry for the delay.

Are you sure you are going to back far enough in time? Some of the certs
expire at different points.

I typically use this to get the list of expiration dates
# getcert list | grep expires

Picking the "right" date can be tricky sometimes.

Some other things that the dogtag engineers suggested to test to ensure
the CA is actually up:

Get the cert chain:

$ curl http://ipa.example.com:8080/ca/ee/ca/getCertChain

And ensure it can contact it's database by getting a cert:

$ curl
'https://ipa.example.com:9443/ca/ee/ca/displayBySerial?op=displayBySerial&serialNumber=0x1'

rob