[Freeipa-users] freeipa server capacity planning

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Aug 15 09:46:53 UTC 2016

On 13.8.2016 13:00, Rakesh Rajasekharan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have successfully running freeipa setup across my envs.. and now planning
> to move it to one of the prod envs where we have around 4000 clients.

The most important characteristics to consider is: What the clients do?

Do they cache intelligently (e.g. using SSSD)? If it is the case then your
config should be fine.

Are they 'dumb' and do LDAP operations all the time? Then you can face
problems even with smaller number of clients, it depends.

Sorry for nor having better answer.

Petr^2 Spacek

> I am running a single IPA server instance with regular backups being taken
> to handle any disasters
>
> Are there any recommendations on the system configuration, I am using a 4
> CPU, 30GB Ram machine. will that be ok or should I upgrade to a higher
> configuration
>
> Also, the default File descriptors is set to 8192 by IPA, with the number
> of clients does it make sense to increase the value of
> nsslapd-maxdescriptors.

I do not know myself, please try to look up answer in
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/10/html/Performance_Tuning_Guide/index.html

Petr^2 Spacek