[Freeipa-users] Permission not working as expected

Deepak Dimri deepak_dimri at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 02:22:48 UTC 2016

Hi All,
I have created below permission for my "testhostgroup" with the expectation that this permission will only allow write permission to the members of "testhostgroup" but, then it allows me to add/delete other hostgroup members as well. I tried changing the effective attribute to "memberof" instead of "member" but in vain as with that i started getting permission denied error even on  testhostgroup itself.
*****

ipa permission-add 'testhostgroup-modify' --permission=write --attrs=member --filter='(&(cn=testhostgroup)(objectclass=ipahostgroup ))'
--------------------------------------
Added permission "testhostgroup-modify"
  Permission name: testhostgroup-modify
  Granted rights: write
  Effective attributes: member
  Bind rule type: permission
  Subtree: dc=us-west-2,dc=compute,dc=amazonaws,dc=com
  Extra target filter: (&(cn= testhostgroup)(objectclass=ipahostgroup ))******
How can i restrict permissions to manage only those hosts which are part of a particular hostgroup? any help you could offer on this would be much appreciated. I could not find much on similar issue in the forum :(
Thanks,Deepak