[Freeipa-users] [freeipa-users] How to manage Linux attributes for AD users (e.g. how do I set a shell for an AD User)

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Fri Feb 5 08:41:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 01:57:20PM -0600, Jon wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> I think that's exactly the problem though, how does one set POSIX
> attributes in AD from Linux guests?
>
> The RedHat documentation has a big warning that the Microsoft IDMU has been
> deprecated.

IIRC the UI is, the schema is not.

> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Windows_Integration_Guide/ex.sssd-ad-posix.html
>
> Surely you're not suggesting manually editing the AD Schema...?
>
> Also, another use case is ssh keys.  I'm not even sure that IDMU has an
> option for "authorized_keys"  (and FreeIPA doesn't seem to honor what's in
> .ssh/authorized keys...  when that file exists I always get prompted for a
> password then access denied).

For per-AD-user ssh pubkeys, you can use the idviews feature:
    ipa idoverrideuser-add --sshpubkey=STR
see:
    https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Windows_Integration_Guide/id-views.html
same for shells, although as Josh said, shells can be set globally for
all users in sssd.conf