[Freeipa-users] Split backup actions in stop - backup - start commands

David Kupka dkupka at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 07:00:30 UTC 2016

On 16/02/16 20:26, Matt . wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fugiring out if it's possible to strip the ipa start and stop from
> the backup method and actually do a fullbackup manually started.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt

Hello Matt,
you can perform data only backup where freeipa server is still running
(ipa-backup --data --online).
But IIUC you want full backup with stopped freeipa sever only want to
manually run sequence ipactl stop ; ipa-backup ; ipactl start

Could you please explain why do you need such behavior? Honestly, I'm
unable to find use for this.

There's no way how to do it without touching the code. If you don't mind
editing code just remove two else branches starting on lines 293[0] and
316[1] in ipaserver/install/ipa_backup.py (on recent Fedoras located in
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/).

With this change full backup will be performed on running server unless
you stopped it before. It can result in inconsistent data in backup archive.

[0]
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/tree/ipaserver/install/ipa_backup.py#n293
[1]
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/tree/ipaserver/install/ipa_backup.py#n316