[Freeipa-users] Using our IPA CA as a trusted CA to sign ssl certificates

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 22:24:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 05:35:01PM -0400, bret.wortman at damascusgrp.com wrote:
> Sorry, let me back up a step. We need to implement hype
> everywhere. All our web services. And clients need to get
> keys&certs automatically whether through IPA or Puppet. These
> systems use IPA for everything but authentication (to keep most
> users off). I'm trying to wuss out the easiest way to make this
> happen smoothly.

Hi Bret,

You can use the IPA CA to sign service certificates.  See
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Certmonger#Request_a_new_certificate.

IPA-enrolled machines already have the IPA certificate in their
trust store.  If the clients are IPA-enrolled, everything should
Just Work, otherwise you can distribute the IPA CA certificate to
clients via Puppet** or whatever means you prefer.

** you will have to work out how, because I do not know Puppet :)

Cheers,
Fraser