[Freeipa-users] PKI Authentication Issues

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Wed Mar 23 16:31:20 UTC 2016

On 03/23/2016 03:50 PM, Sam James wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been banging my head against the wall for a few days now trying to resolve
> an issue with PKI and I'm hoping I might get some help.  First some context.
>
> About a week ago I was alerted that all of our replicas were offline due to
> pki-tomcatd not starting.  Futher investigation determined that all of the pki
> certs had expired two days earlier.  I turned back time and successfully updated
> the certs and certmonger updated the rest of the replicas.
>
> Now I'm seeing the following symptoms:
> 1.  Searching certificates via the web UI will display certificate info.
> 2.  Attemping to view certificate details results in an "IPA Error 4301:
> CertificateOperationError" the exception being "Invalid Credential.".
> 3.  Issuing the ipa cert-show command results in the same "Invalid Credential."
> exception.
> 4.  PKI debug log shows:  SignedAuditEventFactory: create()
> message=[AuditEvent=AUTH_FAIL][SubjectID=$Unidentified$][Outcome=Failure][AuthMgr=certUserDBAuthMgr][AttemptedCred=CN=IPA
> RA,O=DOMAIN.COM <http://DOMAIN.COM>] authentication failure
> 5.  PKI system log shows: Cannot authenticate agent with certificate Serial
> 0x123456789 Subject DN CN=IPA RA,O=DOMAIN.COM <http://DOMAIN.COM>. Error: User
> not found.

PKI has some build-in accounts which uses certificates for
authentication. It matches a user by a certificate. The error above
means that it cannot find any user for cert with serial no 0x123456789

So the possible cause is the user you checked
(uid=ipara,ou=people,o=ipaca) has still old cert. I.e. you've updated
description, but is the cert correct?

--
Petr Vobornik