[Freeipa-users] Dogtag migration to FreeIPA

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Thu May 5 20:37:04 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 12:46:48PM -0700, Ha T. Lam wrote:
> Hi Fraser,
>
> Thank you very much for the immediate response. Our use-case for Dogtag is:
> our installation engineers request a signing CA cert through the Dogtag web
> interface, and our admin grants the request, anything following is not
> managed with Dogtag. So we only use Dogtag for managing the root cert and
> the signing CA certs (beside OCSP, audit certs, etc that come with the
> system).
>
> I'm not sure how your solution would work in our case, if we import a
> signing cert into Dogtag and sign other certs that we give to our
> installation engineers using it, it would change our current cert chain.
>
> Reading your reply, I realized I probably misunderstood how FreeIPA worked,
> I thought I only needed to import Dogtag's Root CA (which is our company
> Root CA) into FreeIPA's Dogtag for it to work. Just for checking, this
> would not work, would it?

Correct; there isn't right now a way to "adopt" an existing CA into
an existing Dogtag instance.

In either case, because you are issuing admin-approved CA
certificates, I don't think FreeIPA fits your use case.  In the
future we will support sub-CA creation (it is what I am working on)
so you might want to evaluate FreeIPA once that feature has landed.

Cheers,
Fraser