[Freeipa-users] Looking for documentation for Python API

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Fri May 6 07:04:59 UTC 2016

On 05.05.2016 23:41, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> [This didn't show up in the archives or list after 12 house, so resending.
> Sorry if it's a dupe.]
>
> I've been googling and looking through the documentation, but I have yet to
> find official docs for the Python API for FreeIPA.
>
> The first result for 'python' when doing a search on www.freeipa.org is
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Python_Coding_Style On that page, there is a link
> to "freeIPA Python API documentation" which goes to
>
> https://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation#Developer_Documentation
>
> That page, however, doesn't have one mention of Python, and only one mention
> of "API" and that is "How to migrate your code to the new LDAP API" which
> doesn't seem to be related.  I did manage to find
> https://github.com/encukou/freeipa/tree/master/doc/examples which has a couple
> (very convoluted) examples, but seems far from complete.
>
> There is a freeipa-python RPM, but *WHERE* is the documentation for the Python
> API. Or should I just shell-out to the 'ipa' command from all my python
> scripts? :)
>
> I found https://vda.li/en/posts/2015/05/28/talking-to-freeipa-api-with-sessions/ and https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/tree/API.txt so
> I'm sure I could work up something with python and requests, but I'd prefer to
> use the official API if I could. :)
>
> Any assistance would be great!

Hello,

since IPA4.2 web UI contains API browser (IPA Server/API Browser)

So for example for caacl-add:
api.Command.caacl_add(u'argument-ca-acl-name', description=u"optional
description")

you can try commands in "ipa console" it contains initialized API, just
call api.Command.<your-favorite-command>()

API.txt provides the same information as API browser, but browser looks
better :)

Feel free to ask anything, if you identified gaps in docs which are hard
to understand for non-IPA developer feel free report it, or feel free to
create howTo in freeipa.org page.

Martin