[Freeipa-users] Looking for documentation for Python API

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at azariah.com
Sat May 7 07:07:36 UTC 2016

On Friday, May 06, 2016 09:04:59 Martin Basti wrote:
> since IPA4.2 web UI contains API browser (IPA Server/API Browser)
>
> So for example for caacl-add:
> api.Command.caacl_add(u'argument-ca-acl-name', description=u"optional
> description")
>
> you can try commands in "ipa console" it contains initialized API, just
> call api.Command.<your-favorite-command>()
>
> API.txt provides the same information as API browser, but browser looks
> better :)
>
> Feel free to ask anything, if you identified gaps in docs which are hard
> to understand for non-IPA developer feel free report it, or feel free to
> create howTo in freeipa.org page.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm looking at automating some user and group
additions, group editing, etc.  Am I right in assuming that anything that uses
the api.Command.<some_command> will require a kinit <user> before it is run,
even if it is via the Python API? If I want to use a user/pass from the script
itself (and not have a shell script which does kinit, then fires off my Python
script) would I be better off hitting the web API with sessions and JSON-RPC as
detailed here:

https://vda.li/en/posts/2015/05/28/talking-to-freeipa-api-with-sessions/

Put another way, since I want to hit the API from a system that might not have
sssd installed, nor has joined the realm, I assume it would be *impossible* to
use api.Command.<something> as it relies on a Kerberos ticket?  To put it yet
another way: is there a way to hand a user/pass to the Python API and
authenticate that way.

Those are the questions I did not see addressed in the docs that I found.
There were lots of examples of invoking commands, but I never saw anything
about authenticating to the server before running the commands.

Thanks again for the pointers, and if there is documentation I missed, feel
free to point me in that direction.

Joshua J. Kugler - Fairbanks, Alaska
Azariah Enterprises - Programming and Website Design
joshua at azariah.com - Jabber: pedahzur at gmail.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A