[Freeipa-users] LDAP server failover via altServer attribute?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri May 20 14:38:56 UTC 2016

Martin Basti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> IPA uses SRV records for failover to another replica/LDAP.
>
> I don't know how it works on MACs, but in case that there is no
> possibility to use SRV, you may need to file a RFE ticket
> (https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/newticket)

Agreed, SRV records are the preferred mechanism. I was curious though so
played with this a bit and it is possible to add altServer values:

$ ldapmodify -x -D 'cn=directory manager' -W
Enter LDAP Password:
dn:
changetype: modify
add: altServer
altServer: ldap://gyre.example.com

modifying entry ""
^D

$ ldapsearch -LLL -x -b "" -s base altServer
dn:
altServer: ldap://gyre.example.com

My test rig is a single master so I don't know if this replicates or not.

rob