[Freeipa-users] LDAP server failover via altServer attribute?

Guillermo Fuentes guillermo.fuentes at modernizingmedicine.com
Fri May 20 19:13:40 UTC 2016

SRV record failover works for Kerberos on the Mac. Setting "dns_lookup_kdc
= yes" and removing the KDC server ("kdc = xxx") entries from the
/Library/Preferences/edu.mit.Kerberos config file does the trick.

For LDAP, although you can enable it, I can't see it documented anywhere so
I'm assuming that isn't the recommended way for the Mac. This can be
enabled by running this for the LDAP server you're using:
sudo odutil set configuration /LDAPv3/ipa1.example.com module ldap option
"Use DNS replicas" "true"

Adding the altServer values with the Directory Manager credentials worked
and I'm happy to report that the failover on the Mac works great with
FreeIPA!

As suggested by Rob, for three servers, on server ipa1:
$ ldapmodify -x -D 'cn=directory manager' -W
Enter LDAP Password:
dn:
changetype: modify
add: altServer
altServer: ldap://ipa2.example.com
-
add: altServer
altServer: ldap://ipa3.example.com

modifying entry ""
^D

The altServer values didn't replicate so I had to add them to each of the
FreeIPA servers.

Then, tell the Mac (testing on OS X v10.11.5) to use the altServer
attribute to look for replicas in case of failover:
sudo odutil set configuration /LDAPv3/ipa1.example.com module ldap option
"Use altServer replicas" "true"

And, viola! Highly available authentication with a FreeIPA cluster for the
Mac!

Thanks so much for your help!
Guillermo