[Freeipa-users] OCSP and CRL in certs for java firefox plugin

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue May 31 06:53:05 UTC 2016

On 05/30/2016 10:53 PM, Prasun Gera wrote:

>     To summarize, your options seem to be:
>     * Create ipa-ca DNS record in your primary domain
>     * Update the main default certificate profile (present in FreeIPA 4.2+)
>     * Migrate whole FreeIPA deployment to other DNS primary you would control
>     (pqr.xyz.com <http://pqr.xyz.com>) - which is a lot of work but may unblock
>     you in future if you
>     want to start the mentioned AD trusts.
>
>     Martin
>

> Thanks Martin for the suggestions. In the short term, updating the external will
> probably not work. Eventually, migration to a domain that I can control will be
> a better idea, but that will involve a lot more work. Is there any documentation
> on doing the migration ? My deployment is actually fairly simple right now. We
> just use it internally for our small lab, mostly as a replacement for NIS. No AD
> or windows machines. Hence, I didn't bother with a lot of complex dns stuff to
> begin with. I guess, the only thing we need to preserve is usernames, groups and
> passwords in the migration.

If you use only users, groups and passwords, the migration may actually not be
that painful as you can migrate with "ipa migrate-ds" command as advised in
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Migration#Migrating_from_other_FreeIPA_to_FreeIPA
and then enrolling your clients with the new FreeIPA realm. We have a RFE for a
more complete migration tracked
that was being worked on as a thesis.

> Regarding your second point, how do I go about updating the cert profile ? Is
> there any documentation ? If this is not a standard feature, do you think I
> should open an RFE ?

Certificate Profiles is a standard feature in FreeIPA 4.2+. Profile edit is not
that straightforward, but if you download current one for the profile, you
should be able to figure out what line to edit (and then you just upload the
profile again).

> Also, I'm surprised that nothing broke yet despite the OCSP/CRL stuff not
> working ever. Isn't this important security-wise? Yet, browsers don't seem to
> complain by default for https certs once the CA is trusted. Only the java plugin
> brought this to my attention.

Yeah, browsers generally not care about CRL/OCSP unless explicitly enabled. I
know that at least Firefox has a setting to always check for certificate validity.