[Freeipa-users] mkhomedir difference between ipa master and ipa replica

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Nov 4 11:52:44 UTC 2016

On 04/11/2016 11:32, Brian Candler wrote:

> I notice that both ipa-server-install and ipa-replica-install have the
> following option:
>
>     --mkhomedir         create home directories for users on their
> first login
>
> but I did not supply this option in either case. I believe the actual
> options I gave were:
>
> ipa-server-install --setup-dns
> ipa-replica-install --setup-ca --setup-dns --forwarder x.x.x.x
> /var/lib/ipa/replica-info-*.gpg
>
> respectively.  Is this expected behaviour, or should I raise a ticket?

Supplementary note for the benefit of the list: I tried manually
updating the replica machines' PAM configurations to match, but I then
got this error

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
com.redhat.oddjob_mkhomedir was not provided by any .service files
Last login: Fri Nov  4 11:36:07 2016 from x.x.x.x
Could not chdir to home directory /home/brian.candler: No such file or
directory

All the machines had the same packages installed, including the
"oddjob-mkhomedir" package. But the slaves were missing a single
symlink. Solution was:

ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/oddjobd.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/oddjobd.service

Regards,

Brian.