[Freeipa-users] mkhomedir difference between ipa master and ipa replica

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 12:20:56 UTC 2016

On 11/04/2016 12:52 PM, Brian Candler wrote:
> On 04/11/2016 11:32, Brian Candler wrote:
>>
>> I notice that both ipa-server-install and ipa-replica-install have the
>> following option:
>>
>>     --mkhomedir         create home directories for users on their first login
>>
>> but I did not supply this option in either case. I believe the actual options
>> I gave were:
>>
>> ipa-server-install --setup-dns
>> ipa-replica-install --setup-ca --setup-dns --forwarder x.x.x.x
>> /var/lib/ipa/replica-info-*.gpg
>>
>> respectively.  Is this expected behaviour, or should I raise a ticket?
>>
> Supplementary note for the benefit of the list: I tried manually updating the
> replica machines' PAM configurations to match, but I then got this error
>
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.redhat.oddjob_mkhomedir
> was not provided by any .service files
> Last login: Fri Nov  4 11:36:07 2016 from x.x.x.x
> Could not chdir to home directory /home/brian.candler: No such file or directory
>
> All the machines had the same packages installed, including the
> "oddjob-mkhomedir" package. But the slaves were missing a single symlink.
> Solution was:
>
> ln -s /usr/lib/systemd/system/oddjobd.service
> /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/oddjobd.service
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Both server and replica should pass this option to client installer
which is executed as a part of server or replica installation.

Before filing bugs, it would be good to check what/if something happened.

Client installer configures creation of home dir in standard way.
Meaning it calls something like:
 # authconfig --enablemkhomedir --update

You can check with what options authconfig was called by:
 # cat /var/log/ipaclient-install.log | grep authconfig

if  --enablemkhomedir is not there then it is possible that something
else enabled it.

--
Petr Vobornik