[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA v4.2 stopped working, wants me to run ipa-server-upgrade, but has errors

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 14:27:59 UTC 2016

On 13.10.2016 15:50, John Popowitch wrote:
> Yeah, so very lucky.
> I have no idea how this happened.
> As I said before I inherited these servers so I don't really know what was done to get them to this state.
> I'm guessing most if not all of the conflicts are naming conflicts for standard entries which were setup on all three servers.
>
> Please help me to understand what this upgrade does.
> What does ipa-server-upgrade do?
It upgrades configuration of services and LDAP data to fit the current
version installed from RPMs.
> Each server has IPA RPMs for v4.2.0.
> Does this command upgrade RPMs?
No, ipa-server-upgrade is called from RPM upgrade process. First new
RPMs are installed, then ipa-server-upgrade is executed. In your case
ipa-server-upgrade failed so it should be rerun because there might be
configs that needs upgrade.

> Does it need to be run on each server?
Yes, as I said it is part of RPM installation. ipa-server-upgrade is
idempotent so it can be called multiple times. I recommend to execute it
again to be sure. (first remove conflicts)