[Freeipa-users] SSL alert: CERT_VerifyCertificateNow: verify certificate failed for cert Server-Cert of family

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 16:14:58 UTC 2016

On 14.09.2016 17:59, bahan w wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I send you this mail because I cannot restart my test IPA server.
>
> When I try to start it with service ipa start, I got the following
> error message :
> ###
> # service ipa start
> Starting Directory Service
> Starting dirsrv:
>     <MYREALM>...[14/Sep/2016:17:57:23 +0200] - SSL alert:
> CERT_VerifyCertificateNow: verify certificate failed for cert
> Server-Cert of family cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config (Netscape
> Portable Runtime error -8181 - Peer's Certificate has expired.)
> [  OK  ]
>     PKI-IPA...[14/Sep/2016:17:57:33 +0200] - SSL alert:
> CERT_VerifyCertificateNow: verify certificate failed for cert
> Server-Cert of family cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config (Netscape
> Portable Runtime error -8181 - Peer's Certificate has expired.)
> [  OK  ]
> Starting KDC Service
> Starting Kerberos 5 KDC: [  OK  ]
> Starting KPASSWD Service
> Starting Kerberos 5 Admin Server: [  OK  ]
> Starting MEMCACHE Service
> Starting ipa_memcached: [  OK  ]
> Starting HTTP Service
> Starting httpd: [FAILED]
> Failed to start HTTP Service
> Shutting down
> Stopping Kerberos 5 KDC: [  OK  ]
> Stopping Kerberos 5 Admin Server: [  OK  ]
> Stopping ipa_memcached: [  OK  ]
> Stopping httpd: [FAILED]
> Stopping pki-ca: [  OK  ]
> Shutting down dirsrv:
>     <MYREALM>...                                    [ OK  ]
>     PKI-IPA... [  OK  ]
> Aborting ipactl
>
> # service ipa status
> Directory Service: STOPPED
> Failed to get list of services to probe status:
> Directory Server is stopped
> ###
>
> Do you know how to renew the SSL certificate used for the IPA Server ?
>
> Best regards.
>
> Bahan

Hello,

please run

# ipactl start --force
# getcert list (to detect which certificate is outdated, I suspect DS
cert (or to get more info why it has not been renewed))

If getcert does work (I'm not sure if ti is able to work without httpd),
you probable need to move time back to past where cert is valid, start
IPA and try again.

Please find ID outdated certificate and try resubmit it (CA and DS must
be running)

# getcert resubmit -i 20160914122036 (use you ID :) )

This should renew cert, check status with getcert list

Move time back to future (if needed)

Try to restart IPA

Martin^2