[Freeipa-users] 3rd party Cert install now IPA total broken

Florence Blanc-Renaud flo at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 07:04:50 UTC 2016

On 09/20/2016 02:15 PM, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Thanks for the first help,
>
> Am Montag, 19. September 2016, 12:02:19 schrieb Florence Blanc-Renaud:
>> On 09/16/2016 03:06 PM, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Freeipa 4.3.1
>>>
>>> I have now install a 3rd Party Certificat from Startcom now my IPA is
>>> total
>>> broken?
>
>>> ipa-cacert-manage -p 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' -n STARTCOM-ROOT -t C,, install
>>> root.crt
>
> I mean this is the wrong cert I installed :-(.
>
> Is it possible to overwrite or delete and make it new. this file is the ROOT-CA
> from STARTCOM ("30 Years")

Hi,

ipa-cacert-manage install *adds* the CA certificate to the list of CA
certs (it does not replace the CA cert), meaning that it can be run
multiple times with different certificates. After this step, you can
find all your CA certificates in the ldap server, below
cn=certificates,cn=ipa,cn=etc,$BASEDN

So in your case, you can re-run this command, this time with the right
CA cert. Then do not forget to run ipa-certupdate on all the ipa
replicas/clients in order to install the new CA cert on the relevant NSS
databases. It is important to run ipa-certupdate before IPA services are
restarted with the new certs (otherwise ipa-certupdate cannot contact
the LDAP server to download the new certificates).

If you forgot to run ipa-certupdate on the clients, I guess you can fix
this by installing the new CA cert in /etc/ipa/nssdb with C,, flags.

HTH,
Flo